EAST SQUARE, P O BOX 26
WASHINGTON, GEORGIA 30673
Phone: (706) 678-5263
FAX: (706) 678-7771
Reigning majestically over East Robert Toombs Avenue is the historic Dugas-Wingfield-Wagner Home c. 1790 also known as "Pleasant Shade" which name evokes memories of shaded lanes that once led from the town Square to this exquisite renovated Southern mansion graced with massive fluted columns, the largest in historic Washington, Georgia. Gazing out from the large window at the end of the upstairs center hall, one immediately recognizes the remnant lane and is transformed back in time to a by-gone era of a much simpler, tranquil way of life.
Many prominent and interesting people have called this place "Home": On this site, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Dugas, French refugees ; the Wingfield's (James who is believed to have begun the existing house came from Virginia in the early 1780's with his brothers John and Thomas); Charles Bolton (a wealthy merchant who purchased the home some time in the early 1800's and added the upper story). In a newspaper column it was stated that the Bolton sons were great sportsmen "and one never seemed to pass the place without seeing horses, grooms and stylish vehicles." The side door under a small portico was called the "riding door", Rev. James B. Dunwoody added the columns in 1860 (a Presbyterian minister who performed the wedding ceremony for Miss Bullock and Mr. Roosevelt, the parents of President Theodore Roosevelt ).
The home and columns are constructed of virgin bald cypress from the Augusta cypress swamps built to last forever. It was here the famous physician, Louis Alexander Dugas was born in 1806 and whose history and attainments (one among many being a founder of the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta) are recorded on a historical marker placed on the premises by the Georgia Historical Commission .
TOTALLY renovated top to bottom in 2018 by the current owners, Pleasant Shade boast 5,590 square feet with 6 spacious bedrooms and 5 and one-half baths! There are two primary suites on the main level with 4 additional Bedrooms/ 3 full baths upstairs as well a second floor Library with interesting entry door. An expansive wide center hall stretches upstairs and downstairs. The main level consist of gorgeous proportioned Double Parlors flanking each side of the entry foyer with exquisite moldings, a large banquet/dining hall (16 x 28), amazing kitchen, side sun room and the two primary suites.... ALL renovated and brought up to modern standards for todays lifestyle of comfort and efficiency. (Dual Fueled Central HVAC, Maximum insulation, Top of the line appliances, Gas range, central vac system and much, much more. New Electrical, New Plumbing, New Roof, New Baths, New Kitchen.... No expense spared)
Southern elegance at its finest as soaring Greek Revival Columns invite Guest in and welcome you home, random width pine floors glisten, fireplaces adorned with mantles bring warmth to most every room (including the kitchen) and wonderful original oversized paned windows (front are floor to ceiling) serve to brighten and flood the home with natural light.
The grounds of 1.63 acres are beautiful with mature
magnolias, pecan & other trees, flowering shrubs, perimeter iron-style
black fencing (over 400 ft) and brick lighted entries. (front & side)
There is also a newly constructed three car detached garage and other
out buildings on the property.
Call Georgia Realty Sales at (706)
Georgia's Best Land and Homes for Sale
Current List of Properties | Historical Homes | Fine Homes | Lake Properties | Commercial
Copyrightę 1999-2023 Georgia Realty Sales, Inc.
Site Maintained by Norcomp, Inc.
All information deemed to be accurate,
but not guaranteed.
No liability is assumed for errors and/or omissions.